This week in class, we read the piece "Words Don't Mean What They Mean" by Steven Pinker.

After reading this piece, I started thinking about the school cafeteria. This week was earth week at school, and we had activities everyday to encourage recycling and cleaning up the school. I thought it was somewhat strange that the school provided plastic products. Even though they didn't have much to do with earth week, I thought that it went against what the school was trying to do. Why couldn't they provide a non-plastic substitute? Im on the JV lacrosse team at school, at the game, the concession stand workers sold a lot of food-in plastic and paper containers. We had a game on Friday, and it was extremely windy, couldn't the wrappers and bags fly out of the garbage cans? Or peoples hands? As said in the piece, "......hypocrisy is universal.." We willingly choose to ignore everything we do, and it is universal, almost as if it is a part of human nature. We argue certain things, and consistently tell ourselves and each other that certain things/actions are wrong, meanwhile we intentionally/unintentionally choose to do those same things, sometimes for the sake of inconvenience, other times for our own personal reasons.


I thought about the color yellow, because it represents hypocrisy and convenience.

Comments

  1. Wow, I love how you managed to tie in the hypocrisy in Pinker's piece with our school's own hypocrisy! That's a connection I definitely wouldn't have made. It's so true how sometimes we all just love to ignore our own hypocrisy - because it's easy, maybe, or because it's become a habit, or because that's just "a part of human nature," like you said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment